10 interesting facts about Austria
Find out what made our list of fun facts about Austria below:
- The name Austria derives from a Germanic word ‘austro’, meaning ‘east’
- The Austrian flag is one of the oldest national flags in the world
- The sewing machine was invented by Josef Madersperger, an Austrian
- Approximately one quarter of the population of Austria lives in Vienna
- Vienna has the oldest zoo in the world, founded in 1752
- Austria is known for its mountain railways and trains such as the Giselabahn
- Ferdinand Porsche, who is the founder of the German sports car company ‘Porsche’, was fromAustria
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Hollywood actor, grew up in Austria
- 62% of Austria is covered by the Austrian Alps
- The first postcards used were in Austria.
Do you know any more interesting facts about Austria? Or have any stories of your trips to Austria? Please share them in the comments section below.