10 interesting and fun facts about Ireland
Here’s a list of fun facts about Ireland…
- The longest place name in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia.
- The Guinness Brewery in St. James Street Dublin has a 9,000 year lease
- The Titanic was built in Belfast, Northern Ireland
- In 1447, moustaches were illegal in Ireland.
- An odd Irish birthday tradition is to lift the birthday child upside down and give his head a few gentle bumps on the floor for good luck. The number of bumps should allegedly correspond to the child’s age plus one.
- The national symbol of Ireland is the Celtic harp, not the shamrock
- Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle, thanks to its lush greenery
- The St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated in Ireland on March 17th which is a national holiday
- Although set in Scotland, most of the battle scenes in the 1995 film Braveheart were filmed in Ireland.
- The river Liffey runs through the centre of Dublin and is 75 miles in length
Do you have any facts about Ireland? Please share them in the comments below. Alternatively for more information on any of our Ireland Coach tours follow the link provided.