10 interesting facts about Austria
Here at Leger Holidays we love an Alpine escape, in fact our very first tour was to Austria back in 1983, and it’s still one of our top holiday destinations! So what is it that makes you all so interested in Austria? Whether you’re researching for your next holiday or simply want to brush up on a few facts, we’ve compiled a list…
- The name Austria derives from a Germanic word ‘austro’ which means ‘east’.
- The Austrian flag is one of the oldest national flags in the world.
- The sewing machine was invented by Austrian Josef Madersperger.
- Approximately one quarter of the population of Austria lives in Vienna.
- Vienna has the oldest zoo in the world which was founded in 1752.
- Austria is known for its mountain railways and trains such as the Giselabahn.
- Ferdinand Porsche, the founder of the German sports car company ‘Porsche’, was from Austria.
- Former Hollywood actor Arnold Schwarzenegger grew up in Austria.
- 62% of Austria is covered by the Austrian Alps.
- The first postcards used were in Austria.
Do you know any more interesting facts about Austria? Or have any stories of your trips to Austria? Please share them in the comments section below.