Your Holiday Itinerary
- Day 1 – Local departure by coach, then to Liège and our overnight hotel.
- Day 2 – Eben Emael and Fort d’Aubin-Neufchâteau - We begin this fortifications tour in Belgium and see the 1930s Liège forts used to defend Belgium against the Blitzkrieg. We start at the famous Eben Emael, assaulted by German Airborne troops in gliders; we have a full tour of the site here. After lunch we see the heavily fought over Fort d'Aubin-Neufchâteau, completely surrounded in May 1940. Here we take a guided tour of the fort, seeing the extensive damage caused in 1940. We then travel through the Belgian Ardennes, scene of the Blitzkrieg in May 1940, and into France to our mainstay hotel in Yuts on the outskirts of Thionville for a three-night stay. B
- Day 3 – Ouvrage Fermont and Villy la Ferte - We start our look at the Maginot Line at Ouvrage Fermont. This massive system of bunkers and tunnels came under attack in May 1940 and proved how strong the Maginot Line could be. We descend in the original lifts, travel on an old ammunition train and see the fighting bunkers during our morning’s guided tour of the site. In the afternoon we see Villy la Ferte, a smaller Maginot Line complex which saw heavy fighting in May 1940. The site has been left as it was, with anti-tank rails, barbed wire and bunkers showing wartime damage. We have a fully-guided tour around one of the few Maginot sites that saw very heavy fighting. B
- Day 4 – Ouvrage Immerhof and Ouvrage Hackenberg - Today we continue with our look at the classic Maginot Line locations with a visit to Ouvrage Immerhof. Sited in the Thionville sector, it was built in the early 1930s with an extensive system of infantry and combat bunkers. In an excellent state of preservation, we spend the morning visiting the whole site, with a 90-minute guided tour, also seeing the museum. In the afternoon we travel to Ouvrage Hackenberg. Set on high ground, this is the largest fortification on the whole Maginot Line and was one part of the line actually held by British troops in 1939/40. We spend two hours underground here seeing what a remarkable state of preservation the site is in, and seeing the many objects connected with the defence of this area. We continue our look at British troops in this area with a visit to the cemetery at Luttange, where the first British soldier killed in WWII is buried. B
- Day 5 – To Calais, then return home. B
Included Meals: B=Breakfast
Please Note: The Maginot forts we visit on this tour are deep underground, can be cold and there are numerous steps, therefore this tour does involve some walking. Due to the large size of these forts visits typically take 90-120 minutes and are fully guided.
Please Note: Entrance fees to museums and places of interest are at extra cost.
You can travel in armchair comfort for only a little extra. Add a touch of luxury to your holiday - choose to upgrade to Silver Service for luxury coach travel with added benefits.
- Extra Legroom - for added comfort
- Rear lounge to relax and chat
- FREE personal headphones with a choice of music & DvD's
- Porterage in all hotels
All of our coaches are modern and comfortable, and you can be assured of a high level of service and reliability from our expertly-trained coach crews, who are on hand to assist and escort you along the way!
This tour is a fly-tour. Flights are available from a choice of airports. See across for details. Return airport transfers are included at your destination at the start and end of your tour.
This tour consists of an inclusive cruising element, by either river or sea!
Some joining points carry a supplement which will be clearly shown when booking.
Prices are per person, based on two sharing
- Optional excursions
- Entrance fees to museums and places of interest
- Single room supplement £85
- Travel insurance from £34.95
If you are looking to create your own tour to go on with friends or family, our groups team can personalise any tour to suit your requirements. See the Group Travel page for more details.
- Convenient local joining points
- Travel by executive coach, upgrade to Silver Service luxury coach with extra legroom available
- Specialist Battlefield Guide
- 4 nights’ accommodation with continental breakfast
- Battlefield visits as described
Upgrade to Silver Service and enjoy these extras
- Travel by Silver Service luxury coach
- Extra legroom for your added comfort
- Comfortable rear lounge to relax and chat
- FREE personal headphones with a choice of music & DVDs
- Porterage in all hotels
- Smaller, more personal group
Evening Meal Package
For your convenience pre-book three 3-course evening meals for the great value price of £48 per person
Need some help?
If there is something we could help you with, you can give us a call on 0844 846 0808, or alternatively:
Single Room Saver
As a single traveller, you can benefit from NO or LOW single room supplements on some of our regular holidays. We have limited availability on these rooms, so book today.
Door to Door
On selected holidays of 9 days duration or more and Single Traveller coach holidays, you don’t even have to think about getting to your joining point! Provided you live within 20 miles of one of our free joining points, from only £60* per car, we’ll pick you up from your home and return you back.(subject to terms & availability).
On selected popular tours, choose a flying start (fly out and join coach for return
journey), flying return (travel out by coach and fly home), or fly both ways!
Plus we'll arrange your flights and transfers between your hotel and the European airport.
Here at Leger, our Directors are a hands-on crew and like to experience holidays the same way as you do.
By travelling on tours and talking to our customers,
they get very valuable feedback that we use to ensure we deliver you
the best holiday possible.