Your Holiday Itinerary
New Itinerary for 2014
The year 2014 marks the 70th Anniversary of the Normandy Landings and to commemorate this event we are pleased to launch a new version of our classic D-Day tour. The landings on the Normandy coastline on 6th June 1944 were the turning point of the Second World War in the west. After years of preparation Allied troops stormed the beaches and began the long road to Germany and the end of the war. Few other events of WW2 have captivated public interest, and D-Day remains an inspiring and moving story 70 years later.
This new version of one of our longest running tours takes in the key locations of the American and British D-Day stories, seeing where the men landed and the fighting was at its fiercest. We visit some of the new memorials on the D-Day battlefields and also the latest addition to the many fine museums in Normandy: the superb Overlord Museum at Omaha Beach. On the five-day tour join us to examine the battles inland post-D-Day, in the bloody Bocage hedgerows and the end of the Normandy campaign in the Falaise pocket. A fascinating and ideal introductory tour to the Second World War battlefields.
On the 4-Day tours we look at the story of D-Day, seeing the beaches and landing grounds; on the 5-Day tours we have an extra day to take in the important Inland battles for Normandy from the Bocage around Bayeux to the breakout in the Falaise Pocket.
- Day 1- Local departure by coach then to Normandy for a three or four-night stay.
- Day 2 - Britain’s D-Day: Pegasus Bridge and British Beaches - We start at Pegasus Bridge, the scene of the first actions of D-Day where Airborne troops stormed the position from gliders and held on until the link-up with ground forces from Sword Beach was made. We see where the gliders landed, the Gondrée Café – arguably the first house liberated on D-Day – and visit the Memorial Pegasus Museum where the original bridge is located. In Ranville we see the Airborne graves in the cemetery and churchyard and after lunch, proceed into the British landing beaches, starting at Sword Beach. Here we see the new memorial to D-Day hero Piper Bill Millin, who piped Lord Lovat’s commandos ashore, and look at the area where men from the 3rd Division landed. At Juno Beach we visit the superb Juno Beach Centre which explains the story of the Canadian role in the Battle of Normandy and at Gold Beach, see where some of the heaviest casualties were suffered by British troops storming the tough defences at Asnelles. We end the day at Arromanches where the Mulberry Harbour was constructed, much of which is still visible out to sea. B
- Day 3 - America’a D-Day: Bloody Omaha and American Airborne - The story of ‘Bloody Omaha’ and the terrible American sacrifice here on D-Day has been immortalised in Saving Private Ryan. Uncover the real story with a visit to the American Normandy Cemetery and Omaha Beach where the landings took place, seeing the memorial to the 29th Division. We also take time to visit the newest Normandy war museum the superb Overlord Museum-Omaha Beach before taking lunch in St Mere Eglise, and then looking at the story of the US Airborne forces at the new Richard Winters Leadership Memorial; Dick Winters commanded Easy Company of 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, otherwise known as ‘The Band of Brothers’. At Utah Beach we follow the story of the successful landings and visit the expanded Utah Beach Museum and see the memorials to those who came ashore here. We end the day at the German Cemetery at La Cambe, where German Tank Ace Michael Wittmann is buried among thousands of others who fell in Normandy. B
- Day 4 - Battle of the Bocage: Falaise Gap - We start our look at the fighting beyond D-Day in the bocage countryside south of Bayeux. We examine the bloody battles for Tilly-sur-Seulles and the tough fighting at Fontenay le Pesnel. Driving through the so-called ‘Scottish Corridor’ over the river Odon, we visit Hill 112 with its Churchill tank memorial; Hill 112 is often called the ‘Verdun of Normandy’ because of the tough nature of the fighting and the huge amount of artillery used. Lunch in Falaise, followed by a visit to the Falaise Pocket and a short walk along the ‘Corridor of Death’, used by the Germans to make their retreat in August 1944. On Mont Ormel we visit the Polish Memorial and Museum to their ferocious battle and end the day by seeing a very rare original Tiger I tank at Vimoutiers. B
- Day 5 - To Calais, then return home. B
Included Meals: B=Breakfast
Please Note: Entrance fees to museums and places of interest are at extra cost.
You can travel in armchair comfort for only a little extra. Add a touch of luxury to your holiday - choose to upgrade to Silver Service for luxury coach travel with added benefits.
- Extra Legroom - for added comfort
- Rear lounge to relax and chat
- FREE personal headphones with a choice of music & DvD's
- Porterage in all hotels
All of our coaches are modern and comfortable, and you can be assured of a high level of service and reliability from our expertly-trained coach crews, who are on hand to assist and escort you along the way!
This tour is a fly-tour. Flights are available from a choice of airports. See across for details. Return airport transfers are included at your destination at the start and end of your tour.
This tour consists of an inclusive cruising element, by either river or sea!
Door-to-Door service may be chargeable depending on distance to the joining point and number of passengers, please call for more information. Some joining points carry a supplement which is clearly shown when booking.
Prices are per person, based on two sharing
- Optional excursions
- Single room supplement £69 (4 days) £89 (5 days)
- Travel insurance from £34.50
DISCOUNTS FOR CHILDREN (aged 8 - 17 years) on selected dates
To make these tours more accessible to families, we are pleased to offer reduced prices for children (aged 8 - 17 years) on selected dates in the school holidays. Please note, these will only apply to bookings made over the phone.
- Save £100 (4 days) or £120 (5 days) off the adult price when travelling with at least 1 adult on the following dates:
- 2014 - Feb 17,20; Apr 11,14; May 26; Aug 15,18,25,29; Oct 27,30
If you are looking to create your own tour to go on with friends or family, our groups team can personalise any tour to suit your requirements. See the Group Travel page for more details.
Early Booking Special Offer!
£10 off 2014 departures when you book by 28 Feb 2014 and £20 off 2015 departures when you book by 30 Apr 2014. Quote reference "B1415" when making your booking by telephone or enter as your discount code on the payment page for online bookings.
- Convenient local joining points
- Travel by executive coach, upgrade to Silver Service luxury coach with extra legroom available
- 3 or 4 nights’ accommodation with continental breakfast
- Specialist Battlefields Guide
- Battlefield visits as described
D-Day On-line Exhibit provided by Google’s Cultural Institute whose aim is to help preserve and promote culture online. They have been created by 17 partners including museums and cultural foundations. They include archives of letters, manuscripts, and first-hand video testimonials.
Upgrade to Silver Service and enjoy these extras
- Travel by Silver Service luxury coach which includes:
- Extra legroom for your added comfort
- Comfortable rear lounge to relax and chat
- FREE personal headphones with a choice of music & DVDs
- Porterage in all hotels
- Smaller, more personal group
Evening Meal Package available to pre-book
- 4-day tour – 2 evening meals £32 per person (2014)
- 5-day tour – 3 evening meals £48 per person (2014)
Need some help?
If there is something we could help you with, you can give us a call on 0844 846 0808, or alternatively:
Single Room Saver
As a single traveller, you can benefit from NO or LOW single room supplements on some of our regular holidays. We have limited availability on these rooms, so book today.
Door to Door
On selected holidays of 12 days duration or more and Single Traveller coach holidays, you don’t even have to think about getting to your joining point! Provided you live within 20 miles of one of our free joining points, from only £60* per car, we’ll pick you up from your home and return you back.(subject to terms & availability).
On selected popular tours, choose a flying start (fly out and join coach for return
journey), flying return (travel out by coach and fly home), or fly both ways!
Plus we'll arrange your flights and transfers between your hotel and the European airport.
Here at Leger, our Directors are a hands-on crew and like to experience holidays the same way as you do.
By travelling on tours and talking to our customers,
they get very valuable feedback that we use to ensure we deliver you
the best holiday possible.