Top to bottom:
Essex Farm Dressing
Hill 60 Pill Box
Langemarck German Cemetery
This is the only German cemetery in the Ypres Salient and is a stark contrast to Tyne Cot.
It is an eerie place, predominantly dark in colour with a sombre atmosphere. There are
about 25,000 remains buried in mass graves with names recorded on metal slabs. Some
of the soldiers buried here were student soldiers killed in the First Battle of Ypres in
October and November 1914.
This peaceful cemetery is on the site of the dressing station where John McCrae, author
of the poem In Flanders Field, operated as a surgeon. One of the youngest soldiers to die
in the Ypres Salient, 15 year-old Joe Strudwick from Dorking in Surrey, is buried here.
Hill 62 and SanctuaryWood Museum
Hill 62 is so called because it is 62 metres above sea level. A small part of the original
wood here has been preserved as it was at the end of the war. Of all the sites Hill 62
gives the best impression of conditions in the trenches. There is a network of trenches
and underground tunnels that can be explored if you are in possession of the appropriate
footwear and a torch, but be prepared, as it can be very muddy. Preserved by the Schier
family since 1918, the site also houses a small museum containing an excellent collection
of wartime photographs and relics.
Memorial Museum – Passchendaele 1917
This Memorial Museum is set up in the historical castle of Zonnebeke just outside of
Ypres. The museum has a large collection of historical artefacts, images and vies, life size
dioramas as well as underground dugout tunnels. This interesting museum shows how
the British had to live underground in the tunnels.
Bellewaerde Park is a theme park close to Ypres with a great mix of attractions; Screaming
Eagle, Boomerang, Pirate boat, as well as animals and nature. Between April and
November groups can visit the park for a relaxing day at the end of their history tour or
use the day for an educational to see some examples of one to four day tours - please go
to pages 18-19.
Talbot House – Popperinge
Talbot House was opened in Popperinge on 11th December 1915 by Army chaplains
Philip Clayton and Neville Talbot. It was an ‘Every Man’s Club’ where all soldiers,
regardless of their rank, were welcome. Talbot House, or ‘Toc H’ was a ‘home from
home’. There is also an opportunity to visit the Town Hall, where a number of British
soldiers were executed, many for desertion. The execution post in the middle of the
courtyard was used for the last executions and two cells in the basement have been
Tyne Cot Cemetery
Trenches at Hill 62